Re: tcldom_2.6-1_powerpc.changes REJECTED

Hi, I packaged up tcldom for inclusion in Debian...

James Troup, one of the 'gatekeepers', so to speak, has the following
to say about the license for tcldom.  As a consequence, I'm writing
you to suggest that clarifying it (i.e. add something about
modification as per a standard BSD license), and also to the
debian-legal (not really lawyers or anything like that, although maybe
they have signed a few up?) group to see what they think of the
current license, which I have included at the end of the email.

At a practical level, this software is without a doubt open source, as
it is used, distributed and modified on sourceforge.

James Troup <ftpmaster@debian.org> writes:

> | Zveno makes this software available free of charge for any
> | purpose.  Copies may be made of this software but all of this
> | notice must be included on any copy.

> I'm not sure if this covers modification/distribution since the
> "available for any purpose" grant may only cover usage.  Could you
> please either a) get upstream to clarify the license to explicitly
> allow both modification, distribution and distribution of modified
> copies or b) run this past -legal and get them to be say I'm being
> unnecessarily paranoid.

Thanks all,
--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Copyright (c) 1998-2002 Zveno Pty Ltd
http://www.zveno.com/

Zveno makes this software available free of charge for any purpose.
Copies may be made of this software but all of this notice must be included
on any copy.

The software was developed for research purposes only and Zveno does not
warrant that it is error free or fit for any purpose.  Zveno disclaims any
liability for all claims, expenses, losses, damages and costs any user may
incur as a result of using, copying or modifying this software.