Re: european data grid

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 05:46:41PM +0200, A Mennucc wrote:
> hi
>
> I think that the following license is free (according to DFSG)
>
> http://eu-datagrid.web.cern.ch/eu-datagrid
> <http://eu-datagrid.web.cern.ch/eu-datagrid/license.html>/license.html
> <http://eu-datagrid.web.cern.ch/eu-datagrid/license.html>
>
> but I would like your opinion on that.

In the future, please include the license text when asking -legal to
render an opinion.

  EU DataGrid Software License

  Copyright (c) 2001 EU DataGrid. All rights reserved.

  This software includes voluntary contributions made to the EU DataGrid. For
  more information on the EU DataGrid, please see http://www.eu-datagrid.org/.

  Installation, use, reproduction, display, modification and redistribution of
  this software, with or without modification, in source and binary forms, are
  permitted. Any exercise of rights under this license by you or your
  sub-licensees is subject to the following conditions:

  1. Redistributions of this software, with or without modification, must
  reproduce the above copyright notice and the above license statement as well as
  this list of conditions, in the software, the user documentation and any other
  materials provided with the software.

  2. The user documentation, if any, included with a redistribution, must include
  the following notice: "This product includes software developed by the EU
  DataGrid (http://www.eu-datagrid.org/)."

  Alternatively, if that is where third-party acknowledgments normally appear,
  this acknowledgment must be reproduced in the software itself.

  3. The names "EDG", "EDG Toolkit", “EU DataGrid” and "EU DataGrid Project" may
  not be used to endorse or promote software, or products derived therefrom,
  except with prior written permission by hep-project-grid-edg-license@cern.ch.

  4. You are under no obligation to provide anyone with any bug fixes, patches,
  upgrades or other modifications, enhancements or derivatives of the
  features,functionality or performance of this software that you may develop.
  However, if you publish or distribute your modifications, enhancements or
  derivative works without contemporaneously requiring users to enter into a
  separate written license agreement, then you are deemed to have granted
  participants in the EU DataGrid a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free,
  perpetual license to install, use, reproduce, display, modify, redistribute and
  sub-license your modifications, enhancements or derivative works, whether in
  binary or source code form, under the license conditions stated in this list of
  conditions.

  5. DISCLAIMER

  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE EU DATAGRID AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY
  EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
  WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, AND FITNESS FOR A
  PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE ARE DISCLAIMED. THE EU DATAGRID AND CONTRIBUTORS MAKE
  NO REPRESENTATION THAT THE SOFTWARE, MODIFICATIONS, ENHANCEMENTS OR DERIVATIVE
  WORKS THEREOF, WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY PATENT, COPYRIGHT, TRADE SECRET OR OTHER
  PROPRIETARY RIGHT.

  6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

  THE EU DATAGRID AND CONTRIBUTORS SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY TO LICENSEE OR OTHER
  PERSONS FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
  PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, PROCUREMENT OF
  SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, OR BUSINESS
  INTERRUPTION, HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT
  (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), PRODUCT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT
  OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
  DAMAGES.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      Ignorantia judicis est calamitas