Re: The GPL and you

Quoting Daniel Isacc Walker (dwalker@cats.ucsc.edu):

> I use talkfilters data structures and API in my code. Is that a
> derivate work? Everything else I've read indicates that it isn't..

Copyright doesn't cover ideas.

But I believe you're asking the wrong question.  The reason Debian
doesn't _redistribute_ GPLed PHP extensions is that they're believed to
be in licence conflict (when linked with the PHP interpreter).  But as
long as you're NOT seeking to create something that everyone will feel
comfortable redistributing, you're fine.

Moreover, all that's a change of subject from what you were saying
originally:

You were saying your "software is automatically GPLed".  No.

You were saying use of your PHP extension with the PHP interpreter
automatically GPLs the PHP interpreter.  _No._

You were saying you "have to release the source, but no one can use it".
No.

--
Cheers,                    Remember:  The day after tomorrow is the third day
Rick Moen                  of the rest of your life.