Re: The GPL and you

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 01:51:13PM -0700, Daniel Isacc Walker wrote:

>         I made a PHP extension for the talkfilters library. It's not a big
> achievement, it's maybe 100-200 lines of code .. I've run into a license
> problem . PHP is under the PHP license and the talkfilters library is
> under the GPL . What this means is that my software is automatically GPL'd
> even though it has no GPL'd source in it. The GPL doesn't distinguish
> between linking and directly copying and pasting source code, or at least
> not from my perspective.

>         That's fine with me, I'm not concerned about this software's
> license. The problem is that , with my understanding, because my code gets
> incorporated directly into PHP that means that PHP automatically becomes
> GPL'd. Even if I made some kind of external module for PHP, PHP would
> still need to be GPL'd. Of course, PHP isn't going to switch to the GPL,
> or it's doubtful I can convince them to.

There are several other PHP extensions in circulation that use GPLed
libraries, some of them distributed with the PHP source itself.  (The
readline extension is one example.)  Binaries for these modules can't be
distributed in Debian, but that doesn't mean you can't write a PHP
extension for a GPL library and distribute it on your own.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer