Re: Decision GFDL

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 12:26:04AM -0400, Walter Landry wrote:

> > Users would still be using the previous version during the delay, so
> > they won't be any better off.

> And after any delay, they will be better off.  Much sooner than if
> they had to wait a complete release cycle.  In any case, I don't think
> that there will be a significant delay.  It is rather unlikely that
> fixing these bugs will create any new RC bugs.

> > The package maintainers have a different alternative, namely fixing
> > the bugs.

> Based on faulty information, the Release Manager told them not to
> bother.  Now they should bother.

Where was this said?  The only statement I've seen is that these bugs
will not be considered blockers for sarge.  Do you mean to say that the
maintainers of all the affected packages only fix the RC bugs against
their packages, and ignore everything else?

The severity of these bugs has not been changed; they are still
considered serious bugs, and they still need to be fixed.  Nothing stops
the maintainers from working on them between now and the freeze date if
they have the time for it.  Nothing stops you from working on them, if
you feel this is important to resolve prior to release.  But if no one
is willing to work on them, your claim that there won't be a significant
delay seems rather ephemeral.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer