Re: My understanding of the GFDL issue

Hi,

A few comments.

On 2003-08-30 09:46:45 +0100 Jérôme Marant <jmarant@nerim.net> wrote:
> - additionaly, the GFDL is not GPL-compatible so one cannot mix GFDL
> _works_ and GPL _works_

This is actually beside the point, I think.

> I'll personaly never been in favour of a big GFDL documentation purge
> in main because I feel that our users are innocent victims of Debian
> vs FSF disagreement [...]

Actually, the FSF and Debian seem to agree on one thing: FDL is not a free software licence.  The disagreement is whether that is important.  Debian has given a commitment to its users that it will only contain free software.  If anything, the users are innocent victims of a licence checking oversight from Debian's past, which is a bug and the users are always victims of bugs.  It seems ironic that FSF normally praises people for improving their licence checking, yet this time they seem to want us to be worse at it.

> and will be disappointed of seeing their manual
> vanish.  However, one has to admit that there is no obvious solution
> at present.

Well, I'm sure we can try to work to minimise manual vanishes, even if it means we're not shipping the official manuals, through various tactics mentioned previously.

> I hope that Debian and the FSF will keep on discussing and working
> together and some solution will be found in the middle run to satisfy
> our users.

I agree.  I hope we can avoid this being seen as "News at 11: FSF vs Debian deathmatch" because it shouldn't become that.