Re: documentation eq software ?

MJ Ray <markj@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> a tapoté :

> On 2003-08-29 22:49:57 +0100 Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
> > We are not about to list
> > which laws you can broke by doing that but whether the freedom the
> > GFDL
> > brings are enough or not.
>
> Enough for what?  We've concluded that it's not enough to be included
> in Debian under the current terms.  Some of us don't think it's enough
> full stop.
>
> [...]
> > And you can even provide a "modified version" of the Manifesto, which
> > includes annotation and translation, as long as you do not modify the
> > original text itself, including it verbatim.
>
> For a copy under the old "copy-only" licence this may be true.  Mere
> supply of the original along with commentary could be done in ways (eg
> parallel texts) that did not breach its licence.  I'm not sure that
> it's true if you obtained a copy as an invariant section under the
> FDL, because using that to produce a commentary and translation would
> mean it didn't qualify as a secondary section any more.  Is that
> correct?

If you received the Manifesto under the FDL, it cannot be invariant
and not being a secondary section:

        A "Secondary Section" is a named appendix or a front-matter
        section of the Document that deals exclusively with the
        relationship of the publishers or authors of the Document to
        the Document's overall subject (or to related matters) and
        contains nothing that could fall directly within that overall
        subject. (Thus, if the Document is in part a textbook of
        mathematics, a Secondary Section may not explain any
        mathematics.) The relationship could be a matter of historical
        connection with the subject or with related matters, or of
        legal, commercial, philosophical, ethical or political
        position regarding them.

        The "Invariant Sections" are certain Secondary Sections whose
        titles are designated, as being those of Invariant Sections,
        in the notice that says that the Document is released under
        this License. If a section does not fit the above definition
        of Secondary then it is not allowed to be designated as
        Invariant. The Document may contain zero Invariant
        Sections. If the Document does not identify any Invariant
        Sections then there are none.

So if you receive the Manifesto alone, it cannot be invariant or
FDLed. If you receive it in a manual, it can be invariant but it's
obviously a secondary part.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: