Can the FSF be corrupted

bts@alum.mit.edu (Brian T. Sniffen) a tapoté :

> You argue that RMS is incorruptible?

I do.

> I present as a counterargument the GFDL.

The GFDL did not reached a consensus as the GPL is in the free
software world, sure.

But I wonder which part of the ideas expressed by Richard on
www.gnu.org are contradicted by the GFDL. Richard always focused on
software and not on book and even if he ackownledged that software
documentation must be free.

The fact that Richard do not see freedom for documentation like
proeminent people of Debian do not mean that Richard is corrupted.
How he understand the freedom for documentation nowadays is not
different as before. We cannot speak of corruption -- there no
changes, no sign of corruption.

At the contrary, nowadays Richard's position about freedom for
software is coherent with the stand he made before.

> > But the GNU licenses are anyway designated to reach a specific
> > goal very correctly documented on gnu.org.
>
> The GFDL does not meet the FSF's four freedoms.  But oh, look what I
> found on www.gnu.org:
>

>   The GNU Project was launched in 1984 to develop a complete
>   Unix-like operating system which is free software: the GNU system.
>
> So the FSF says all these manuals are either not part of the GNU
> system, or are software.

The manuals are not software.

The goal of the GNU project is not to write a complete set of
documentation but "to develop a complete Unix-like operating system
which is free software". And that system needs documentation, which is
free documentation according to the FSF definition of free
documentation.

> Still think it's OK for them to not meet the four freedoms or the
> DFSG?

I think as I said before that a documentation is not a software --
different enough to be ruled differently.
Because what matters are not the freedom in the end, but what you can
do with, what freedom brings to you.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: