Re: SUN RPC code is DFSG-free

Fedor Zuev <Fedor_zuev@mail.ru> writes:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Jeremy Hankins wrote:

>>But when I received glibc licensed under the GPL (which includes
>>code derived from Sun RPC) I received it under the terms of the
>>GPL. Technically the Sun RPC license still applies, but the GPL
>>guarantees me that the work as a whole is available to me under the
>>terms of the GPL (if not, the guy who gave it to me is in violation,
>>and I have no license to the code whatsoever).
>
> 	Licensing of the whole work does not imply by default the
> licensing of the every part of this work under the same license. It
> is not imply even licensing of a part of work at all. GPL
> specifically guarantees, that you can distribute under terms of GPL
> any work, based on GPL-ed work. SUN RPC is a part of GLIBC, but it
> is not a work, based on GLIBC. So, GPL is not guarantees, nor that
> you distribute it at all, nor that you distribute it under GPL.

Section 2.b of the GPL:

        You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that
        in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or
        any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to
        all third parties under the terms of this License.

Section 2 talks about the creation of derived works, which is what the
FSF is doing when they include the Sun RPC code.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>