Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Thu, 28 Aug, 2003 at 06:43:48PM -0500, Rick Moen wrote:
> "...or (at your [the recipient's] option) any later version."  The fact
> that "your" refers to the _recipient_ means that Scott's worst-case
> scenario of FSF issuing a screwball GPLv3 is not a serious concern
> _even_ for work whose licence grants include the quoted phrase.

How about this scenario:

1- A hostile group gets control of the FSF (treachery, trickery,
   bribery, lawsuits, ...?)

2- They release a new version of the GPLv4, which states that "this
   software should be treated as released into the public domain"

3- All copyleft protection of items licensed with the "(at your option)
   any later version" phrase disappears.

Sort of the "tentacles of evil" thought exercise. This is what I was
always worried about when seeing that phrase. Sort of seems like a back
door being reserved.

Could this even happen?

| paul cannon                                 pik@debian.org |
| IWIWAL                      http://people.debian.org/~pik/ |