Re: License oddity in Securing Debian Manual

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:54:31AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
This reminded me of something I noticed earlier today.  The Securing
Debian Manual at
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ has in its
front material the following:
[...]
  Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
  under the terms of the GNU Public License, Version 2 or any later
  version published by the Free Software Foundation. It is distributed in
the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY. All well and good, so far. Appendix H of the Manual, in http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ap-chroot-apache-env.en.html
, has:

  This document is copyright 2002 Alexandre Ratti. It has been released
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This presumably refers to the contents of Appendix H, but I wish it was more explicit.
  under the GNU-FDL 1.2 (GNU Free Documentation Licence) and is included in
this manual with his explicit permission.

Doesn't that create a licence conflict?
Branden Robinson wrote:

Yes.  Even RMS does not posit that the GNU GPL and the GNU FDL are
compatible licenses.  They are not miscible in a single work except by a
party with copyright on the complete corpus.  That's obviously not the
case here.

Please file a bug against www.debian.org, and feel free to quote this
message.

However, since Alexandre Ratti apparently gave explicit permission to include Appendix H in the manual, he may be willing to dual-license it under the GPL. You should contact him and ask him if he is willing to explicitly license it under the GPL. Assuming he is willing and that he is the sole copyright holder for that portion, this should solve the problem. Right?