Re: Re: Decision GFDL

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 09:19, Joe Buck wrote:
> My role in this: I'm not a Debian developer, but I am a member of the
> GCC steering committee.  Our manual is GFDL, and almost all of our
> developers are unhappy about it.  We're running into legal issues with
> things like doxygen-generated libstdc++ documentation (is it even
> distributable if it combines GPL and GFDL text?).

Joe there is another potential solution and it does not require an
approved motion nor changing the minds of the release managers.

You could contact Debian's GCC developers on the debian-gcc mailing list
(<http://lists.debian.org/debian-gcc/>), explain the situation and ask
them to work on moving GCC's documentation into non-free as soon as
possible (assuming distribution of "doxygen-generated libstdc++
documentation" is possible--but regardless the GFDL source has to be
separated out).

With the cooperation of Debian's GCC developers this can happen before
the release of Sarge. Sarge's Release Critical policy defines what will
absolutely stop a release happening. Any bugs not considered release
critical can still be fixed.

If you encounter resistance--e.g. a Debian developer is adamant that
your manual is free--then simply ask the developer to take it up with
the debian-legal mailing list.

Regards,
Adam