Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 11:40, Richard Stallman wrote:
> We are the ones who first started to say that documentation should be
> free, and we are the ones who first wrote criteria for free
> documentation.

I don't see how this is relevant. If the first person to write criteria
for free software had decided that Microsoft's Shared Source license was
free, would that have made it free? Of course not. Freedom doesn't come
by simply calling something free, but by actually granting rights.

This is also untrue. The intention of the Debian Free Software
Guidelines from the start has been to apply to everything in Debian;
programs, documentation, images, and so on. This is the only
interpretation of them that is consistent with the Debian Social
Contract, and Bruce Perens has clarified that this is what he intended
when he was writing them. Just because the FSF is the first to release a
free documentation *license*, doesn't mean it was the first to come up
with free documentation *criteria*.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>