Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Josselin Mouette wrote:

>Le dim 24/08/2003 ? 21:44, Fedor Zuev a ?crit :
>> >If people disagree with what you say, you should not prohibit them
>> >from doing so. You're still a well-known person who can reasonably
>> >assume that what you write or say will not go unnoticed. Even if
>> >it's removed from one distribution of a manual.
>>
>> 	I cannot see any connection between disagreement with anyone
>> opinion, and the right to censor somebody else's opinion, so
>> angrily demanded by you.
>>
>> 	But, since these demands and these sophisms repeated only on
>> this list only in the last several days several times already, I
>> should conclude, that FSF was completely right, when included
>> counter-censorship measures in its license.

>Can't you understand nobody would ask for removing these sections
>if they were as free as the FSF would like to call them ?

	I do not know the man named Nobody.  I can believe that
personally _you_ will never remove sections from documentation you
distribute just because you disagree with author. Even the majority
of debian developers will not do that.

	But Wouter Verhelst, to whom letter I reply, clearly stated
otherwise. And, this letter was not first, even on this list.

>OH MY GOD, WE DON'T INCLUDE ACROBAT IN DEBIAN MAIN, THIS IS
>*CENSORSHIP*, WE HAVE NO RIGHT TO EXCLUDE IT FROM DISTRIBUTION!

	No. If you do not include Acrobat at all, it will not a
censorship. Nobody expect from you to distribute everything.

	But if you take Acrobat, remove, say, the Adobe EULA, and
distribute the rest, it will be censorship or, at least, very
similar. Because you conceal from users the information from
creator, that they reasonable expect to receive from you. Against
the will both the user and creator. It may, also, be copyright
infringement, of course.

(Hypothetical ability to receive this information from the other
sources is completely irrelevant here. Majority of even
goverment-censored information can be accesed from the legitimate
sources. If you exactly know, what and where to find.)