Re: Advice on DFSG status of this licence

Andrew Pollock <apollock@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm considering packaging up RIPE's whois server, and the closest thing I
> can find to a licence in the source tarball is the contents of the COPYING
> file, at the end of this message.
>
> The only bit I'm unsure of is the last sentence. Does it mean we can't
> refer to it as the "RIPE whois server"?

This looks like a rewritten MIT/X11 license.  Unfortunately, there's
no grant of permission to distribute modified versions -- usually not
necessary, but some copyright holders have decided to be silly and
read "permission to modify and distribute" as different from
"permission to distribute modifications," most noticeably UW.

The last sentence just means that "Install Debian GNU/Hurd, with the
RIPE Whois Server!" shouldn't show up on our posters.  It's verging on
non-free, violating DFSG 9, but this minor effect has been tolerated
for authors paranoid of exploitation before.

-Brian