Re: Should our documentation be free? (Was Re: Inconsistencies in our approach)

Matthew Garrett wrote:
Sergey V. Spiridonov wrote:

There is a difference, even if someone doesn't want to see it.

Is documentation that is linked into a binary software? If not, how do
you tell which bits are documentation and which bits software? If so,
how is drawing a distinction terribly useful?

It is difficult to provide a distinction for some cases[1]. I propose to treat such cases in the most strict way: they should pass both filters, Debian limitations for software(programs) and for documentations (originally proposed by John Goerzen).

[1] http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/scratch/ifupdown-0.6.4/ifupdown.nw

There are cases, when we can easely distinguish, is it documentation or program. For example, emacs info files are definitely documentation.

--
Best regards, Sergey Spiridonov