Re: mozilla export restrictions

Wolfgang Fischer <Wolfgang_.fischer@freenet.de> writes:

> On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:30:17 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> I don't think so.  AFAIK, these restrictions are not imposed by the
>> license, and apply to U.S. citizens only.
>
> Doesn't this mean that we should put it to non-us? If we let it on the
> main servers and anybody from these countries downloads it, debian would
> break this law.

No. This has been solved by crypto-in-main. The distributor doesn't have
to enforce non-exportation to the restricted areas, he just has to
notify some governmet agency that the software is being exported, which
we do (automatically). Besides putting it in non-us wouldn't help much,
since it originates in the US and would have to be exported to get it to
the non-us server.

> PS: Is this restriction because of cryptographic code (SSL) included to
> mozilla?

Yes, and is hence solved by crypto-in-main, se above.

--
ilmari