Re: a minimal copyleft

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 08:49:07PM +0100,
 Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote
 a message of 45 lines which said:

> This is why, when using the GPL for things which are not clearly
> program source code, you must always specify what the preferred form
> for modification is (append it to the license declaration, which
> should be just below the copyright declaration).

This would be a serious limitation of freedom! If someone writes a
free document in LinuxDoc/SGML and I translate it to DocBook/XML
before modifying it, I violate the licence?

[Do note that I mentioned only free formats and a realistic case.]