Re: Additional restriction to LGPL

> "If you modify this library, you have to make sure that the "powered by
> HAWHAW" copyright link below the display area is kept unchanged."
>
> I queried the author about the including copywrite line, and got this
> response:
>
> > IMHO this additional statement is covered by this sentence in the LGPL
> > (chapter 6, 2nd paragraph):
> >
> > ----------------
> > You must give prominent notice with each copy of the work that the
> > Library is used in it and that the Library and its use are covered by
> > this License.

The causality/reasoning there seems a bit unclear.  But instead of
getting into it, talking about modification+use vs distribution, etc,
maybe you could just ask the author to rephrase it in a way that no
one could object to?  Something like this:

  Please note that the LGPL (sec 6.2) requires you to "give prominent
  notice with each copy of the work that the Library is used in it and
  that the Library and its use are covered by this License."  I
  consider the "powered by HAWHAW" copyright link below the display
  area to be such a prominent notice.  I would prefer that you leave
  this link as is.  If you remove the link without discharging the
  obligations of LGPL sec 6.2 in some other fashion, you will be in
  violation of the license.

This would make it absolutely clear that he is not requiring anything
beyond what the LGPL requires, while also letting people know that the
copyright link shouldn't be removed without consideration as to an
appropriate alternative mechanism for giving credit to the software.