Re: Debian and copyrights

Scripsit "Baptiste SIMON" <baptiste.simon@e-glop.net>

> In fact, anyone which is releasing his software under something like
> GPL or LGPL is able, if he is still holding the code copyright, to
> release a next release  under any other license.
> I'd like to prevent this kind of problem without giving copyright to FSF

It is difficult to see what you feel is a problem here?

 1. You're a user and you want to avoid the risk that the author
    releases a bugfix release under a non-free license.
    Then you're basically out of luck. But note that you don't have
    any guarantee that the author will fix bugs *at all*. If he does
    under an unacceptable license, you will be no worse off than if he
    just dropped dead - and you can still fix the bugs in the original
    free release yourself, or pay someone to do it.

 2. You're the author and want to prevent *yourself* from switching to
    a non-free license in the future. Hmm? The best way would be to
    decide not to do it, and then have the strength of character to
    stick to your decision.

 3. You're one of several authors and want to prevent the others from
    taking the work proprietary without your permission. In most
    jurisdictions this will happen automatically - any distribution
    at all requires the agreement of all authors, and if someone is
    considering distributing under circumstances that are not allowed
    under your earlier agreeement to licence under, say, GPL, then
    they need to ask you (and all other authors) for permission.
    I dimly remember that there may be jurisdictions (America?) where
    any of several joint authors can authorize copying if only he
    splits the profits fairly with other authors. To be paranoid, you
    might want to draft a contract with the other authors where you
    explicitly promise each other not to do that.

--
Henning Makholm              "Y'know, I don't want to seem like one of those
                         hackneyed Jews that you see in heartwarming movies.