Re: Automatically creating non-free manual pages

Hallo,

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 03:16:14PM -0400, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2003, Klaus Reimer wrote:
> > D. J. Bernstein maintains a website with documentation texts but
> > because all these texts are not licensed under a DFSG-free license it
> > is not possible to convert these pages into man pages and put them in
> > the *-installer/*-src-Packages.
> To remove confusion, could you please specify which license these
> manuals or texts are under and link directly to them on DJB's website?

There is no license. At least I don't know where. I asked him, got no answer
up to now. The only thing I know is that he told Adam McKenna (Maintainer of
daemontools-installer and djbdns-installer) that he prefers to have
the information available on his website so that it's always the latest
information. He has distributed manpages with older version of his software
but he has stopped to do so because of this reason.

> It seems ok to me, but I really can't even guess at it without
> actually looking at the license that the manuals are released under.

If there is no license I think it's simply completely copyrighted. But I
wonder what does that mean to me. Is a program which extracts these
copyrighted texts from his website to create man pages still legal? Or
is the distribution of such a program legal but the use of it is illegal?

--
Bye, K <http://www.ailis.de/~k/>
[A735 47EC D87B 1F15 C1E9  53D3 AA03 6173 A723 E391]