Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 11:37, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:
> My understanding is that the FSF requires copyright assignments in
> order to give themselves the ability to most effectively defend the
> community against poachers and legal attacks.  It would be a drastic
> misunderstanding to think they do it in order to give themselves an
> ability to share that they'd deny to others.

Well, it is my understanding that the FSF changed the license of many
GNU manuals from its traditional license to the GFDL and even added
invariant sections.

They did this using the copyright assignments. There is a statement from
the author of one of the manuals involved in the debian-legal archives.