Re: Legal questions about some GNU Emacs files

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 08:08:01PM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:

> Hi,
>
> According to Dylan Thurston (see #154043), some files shipped
> with GNU Emacs could be considered as non-free.
>
> One of them is /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/LINUX-GNU.
>
> The problem seem to come from the footer which mentions:
>
>   Copyright 1996 Richard Stallman
>   Verbatim copying and redistribution is permitted
>   without royalty as long as this notice is preserved.
>
> Also in /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/WHY-FREE
>
>   Copyright 1994 Richard Stallman
>   Verbatim copying and redistribution is permitted
>   without royalty as long as this notice is preserved;
>   alteration is not permitted.
>

> What do you people think of this?

Just one more comment: the versions of both of these two essays
available on gnu.org (at http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html and
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html) have a slightly different
license:

  Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is
  permitted in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.

Notably, "without royalty" is missing.

Peace,
	Dylan