Re: gnuplot license

Sorry for replying to myself, but the following from the FAQ:

>     Gnuplot is freeware in the sense that you don't have to pay for
>     it. However it is not freeware in the sense that you would be
>     allowed to distribute a modified version of your gnuplot
>     freely. Please read and accept the Copyright file in your
>     distribution.

contradicts the following from the same FAQ:

    1.7 Legalize it!

    Gnuplot is freeware authored by a collection of volunteers, who
    cannot make any legal statement about the compliance or
    non-compliance of gnuplot or its uses. There is also no warranty
    whatsoever. Use at your own risk.

Here is the Copyright file verbatim:

/*[
 * Copyright 1986 - 1993, 1998   Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley
 *
 * Permission to use, copy, and distribute this software and its
 * documentation for any purpose with or without fee is hereby
 * granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all
 * copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission
 * notice appear in supporting documentation.
 *
 * Permission to modify the software is granted, but not the right to
 * distribute the complete modified source code.  Modifications are to
 * be distributed as patches to the released version.  Permission to
 * distribute binaries produced by compiling modified sources is
 * granted, provided you
 *   1. distribute the corresponding source modifications from the
 *    released version in the form of a patch file along with the
 *    binaries,
 *   2. add special version identification to distinguish your version
 *    in addition to the base release version number,
 *   3. provide your name and address as the primary contact for the
 *    support of your modified version, and
 *   4. retain our contact information in regard to use of the base
 *    software.
 * Permission to distribute the released version of the source code
 * along  with corresponding source modifications in the form of a patch file
 * is granted with same provisions 2 through 4 for binary distributions.
 *
 * This software is provided "as is" without express or implied
 *  warranty to the extent permitted by applicable law.
]*/

--
Good luck

-Boris

People that can't find something to live for always seem to find something to
die for.  The problem is, they usually want the rest of us to die for it too.