Re: Documentation licenses (GFDL discussion on debian-legal)

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 08:31:56PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Martin Wheeler <msw@startext.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > And to those who would say: "There's no difference between software and
> > documentation" I would reply -- sorry, but you really know nothing about
> > writing; specifically, _why_ writers write.
>
> Documentation *must* change to adapt to software, if the software can
> change.

*When* documentation applies to software. Gosh, has nobody thought of Debian
distributing documentation that does _not_ apply to documentation? Sample:

- the Project gutenberg texts (not that their license is currently free)
- the licenses under /usr/share/common-licenses
- the History of the Debian Project
- the documentation that makes up an encyclopedia (if any such thing would be
at some time available for Debian to use)

People, software _needs_ documentation. Documentation does not need, at all,
software to exist.

Javi