Re: BSD license, core libraries, and NetBSD
Scripsit Henning Makholm <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Um, sorry for being slow, but what is a "4-clause" BSD license? One
> that has positive as well as negative advertising clauses?
After ~50 MB of downloads: Yes, that's what it is. A representative
example from usr/src/lib/libc/gen/lockf.c in the NetBSD 1.6 source tree:
* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
* modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
* are met:
* 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
* notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
* documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
* must display the following acknowledgement:
* This product includes software developed by the NetBSD
* Foundation, Inc. and its contributors.
* 4. Neither the name of The NetBSD Foundation nor the names of its
* contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
* from this software without specific prior written permission.
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE NETBSD FOUNDATION, INC. AND CONTRIBUTORS
* ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR YADDA YADDA YADDA BLAH BLAH FEE FIE FOO FUM
The mind boggles. How does one abide with (3) without breaking (4)?
Henning Makholm "*Se*!! Nu hælder den vand ud
af ørerne *igen*!! *Et mirakel*!!!"