Misguided EULA for GPLed software

Hi!

I would like to package unrealircd but I figure there is a legal problem
with that.

unrealircd itself is GPLed but the authors have also an EULA which you
have to agree to before downloading.

You can see it if you go to: http://www.unrealircd.com/downloads.php
an then press the download button.

The most problematic part of it is IMHO this:
THE USER MUST IN ADDITION AGREE TO ALL TERMS OF THE GNU GPL LICENSE
AGREEMENT.

IF THIS SOFTWARE WAS DOWNLOADED FROM A LOCATION OTHER THAN THIS WEBSITE
AND THROUGH THE STANDARD DOWNLOAD URL OR WAS DOWNLOADED USING A METHOD
TO AVOID ACCEPTANCE OF THIS AGREEMENT NO RIGHTS SHALL BE GIVEN TO THE
USER.

I don't know much about these legal things but in my eyes that doesn't
make a whole lot of sense, since by the GPL you are granted the right to
redistribute copies but the one you give it to has no rights whatsoever
because of the quoted EULA.

So I figure there must be something badly wrong here and since I can't
figure out all the consequences this might have, I'm asking for help
here.

I would like to talk to the authors about this issue and see if we can
resolve it.

TIA,
 Mika

P.S. Please CC me on replies

--
Mika Fischer - mika.fischer@zoopnet.de
PGP 1024R/E2268395  -  35 7A 1C AC A9 79 1C 85  03 1B C7 AF 07 0A FB CB