Re: GNU FDL 1.2 draft comment summary posted, and RFD

Jeff Licquia <licquia@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 13:40, Walter Landry wrote:
> > When the professor got the source to the book, did she not read the
> > license?  Was the professor not giving access to the source of the
> > document?  It's not that hard to make an announcement at the beginning
> > of class offering the course to anyone who wants it.  Especially for
> > such a large class.  I'm sure a number of laptop-happy students would
> > even take her up on it.  I just don't see the problem here, unless the
> > professor just thinks, "Oooh, free stuff!"  People think that about
> > GPL stuff all the time, and they rightfully get slapped down.  What is
> > the problem here?
>
> If there isn't a problem with requiring that the professor distribute
> the source, then there isn't a problem whether the professor distributes
> one copy or one thousand.  Therefore, the whole volume exemption is
> unnecessary.

When I give out only a few copies, requiring source distribution adds
significant overhead to the transaction.  If I give out lots of
copies, source distribution is an insignificant overhead.  There is a
difference.

> For an example of an alternative to arbitrary limits, see the example
> clause I posted in another message in this thread.

Do you mean this?

>  - A statement is provided in the same form as the rest of the document
> that describes how the Source for this document may be retrieved at no
> charge.

This should probably be "a charge no more than the cost of physically
performing source distribution" rather than "no charge".  I would also
keep the noncommercial distribution stipulation from the GPL.  I worry
a little about new loopholes, but I don't think that they're serious.

Now that I consider it, this kind of statement would be fine for me.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu