Re: Endorsements

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 08:36:44PM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

> On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 05:58 , Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> > If you
> >incorporate that work into a GPLed one, the endorsement terms would be
> >"masked off", but would re-assert themselves once the
> >independently-copyrighted were were extracted from its GPLed container.
>
> 1) Take a document A under the proposed license.
> 2) Convert it to the GPL, by adding section B.
> 3) Remove section B. The GPL allows this.
>
> Result: Document A, under the GPL. No endorsement clause.
>
> I believe that any license attempting to stop (3), above, would
> be in contradiction to the GPL's no additional restrictions
> clause.

As I just told Glenn Maynard, I think I refuted this argument in

The GPL convertibility only applies if the DFCLed work is distributed as
part of a separate GPLed work.  Once extracted from its GPLed housing,
the endorsements clause reasserts itself because the GPL cannot *remove*
the copyright or the license on another work.

> However, and approach that could be taken --- and I'm sorry if
> I've misunderstood you --- is to require this in exchange for
> additional rights. Something like:
>
> 	If you include the endorsements section, the copyright holders
> 	will, at your option, waive (whichever section of GPL requires
> 	distributing source) on the condition that you place the (source
> 	code) of this version of this document at a publicly-accessable
> 	URL for no less than one year.
>
> 	You may remove the above exception from any copy you distribute.
>
> or just the standard you may distribute under either licese.

It may in fact be easier to just build in dual-licensing under the GPL
into the DFCL.  However I don't think there is an actual technical
problem with my proposal.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It was a typical net.exercise -- a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    screaming mob pounding on a greasy