Re: forbidding later version of GPL for xsoldier

[Please Cc: to me because I am not subscribed to the list.]

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 18:36:26 -0500 (CDT),
starner@okstate.edu wrote:
> >I took over the upstream of xsoldier (I am not the original author,
> >so I don't have the copyright).  It was under GPL version 2
> >or later.  Can I put it under GPL exactly version 2, that is,
> >forbid any later version?  GPL says:
> [...]
> >Is forbidding later versions of GPL "further restrictions"?
>
> I don't think so; that clause is part of the GPL v2, not the GPLv2 or
> later.
>
> But why would you want to do this? There will be future incompatibilty
> with GPLv3 code and there's no reason to believe that the FSF will not
> make a GPLv3 that's substantially the same as v2. Also, to me, relicensing
> free code without the author's agreement is rude.
The reason is always the same: trust no one.  However, if forbidding
later version of GPL causes a problem,  I'm happy with the "version 2
or later" license.  Getting works done is more important than my paranoia.

--
Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp>
Debian developer

I always put away what I take.