Re: Problems with LGPL and OpenSSL?

Hello Martin,

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 11:28:44PM +0200, Martin Sjögren wrote:
> I am the main author of pyOpenSSL (pyopenssl.sf.net), a Python wrapper for
> OpenSSL. I agreed with my boss (since, after all, I got paid to write the
> module) to license it under the LGPL. I have also created Debian packages
> for it, since we use Debian at work. I thought it would be a good idea to
> get these packages into Debian, so I filed an ITP for it. I then got a
> mail about using the LGPL was incompatible with the OpenSSL license. I've
> read both of the licenses and I really don't see why it should be a
> problem, so I was hoping you could shed some light on this.

Having recently looked at the licenses for FreeTDS, I believe that
there is no license conflict between the LGPL and the OpenSSL license
except as regards relicensing LGPL works under the GPL, per paragraph 3
of the LGPL.  If you are concerned with allowing people to incorporate
your code into GPLed works, you may wish to add an exemption to the
license you're using (after first securing permission from any other
copyright holders, of course).

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer