Re: WARNING: Crypto software to be included into main Debian distribution

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
> These two situations seem quite analogous to me.  Does placing either
> condition (monetary compensation, or warranting that they're not
> planning to destroy the Earth) on access to particular mirror sites
> violate the licenses of software contained in Debian's main archive?  If
> so, what licenses?

The difference is that Debian is making a condition on future
behavior, also known as a use restriction.  Debian can restrict who it
gives the software to as much as it likes, just as Red Hat does for
it's premium service.  But for some of the software, Debian can't
impose additional restrictions on how it is used.  The obvious
problematic license is the GPL.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu