Re: license requirements for a book to be in free section

Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:03:47AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Ah, such questions are in the bowels of history.  Probably it's best
> > to chalk it up to a mistaken conception of what freeness needs to
> > include, and one that we can harmlessly fix.
>
> Actually, I think it is meant to strengthen the clause, not weaken it.
> Some packages come with licenses that restrict what other software it
> can be bundled with.  For example, a license might specify that if
> a package is distributed on CD, then all the other software on that
> CD must be free.  DFSG#1 forbids such a restriction.

     I think the intent of Section 1, and the consensus of
debian-legal, would be expressed by the addition of the phrase in
brackets:

     The license a Debian component may not restrict any party
     from selling or giving away the software [either alone or]
     as a component of an aggregate software distribution
     containing programs from several different sources. The
     license may not require a royalty or other fee for such
     sale.

     This would require discussion and a formal proposal, which I am
not prepared to make at this time.

Bob
--
   _