Re: draft for new Vim license

Richard Stallman wrote:

>       I would rather see a note that this is not
>     the original Vim but a modified version.  But I suppose I can't require
>     that without becoming GPL-incompatible...
>
> I'm working on changing the GPL to make it possible to add certain
> requirements along those lines.  You might want to wait to see the
> draft of the next GPL version and then look at this issue again.

That's a good thing.  But I don't want to wait too long with the new Vim
license, hopefully Vim 6.1 will be released soon.  Also, some software
will still use the old GPL license.  For example, the GPM library on
someones system is likely to have the old GPL version for a while.

As a way out, I can modify the text to make it GPL compatible:

    2)
	[...]

       e) When the GNU General Public License (GPL) applies to the changes,
	  you can distribute the modified Vim under the GNU GPL.
    3) A message must be added, at least in the output of the ":version"
       command and in the intro screen, such that the user of the
       modified Vim is be able to see that it was modified.  When
       distributing as mentioned under 2)e) adding the message is only
       required for as far as this does not conflict with the license
       used for the changes.

Any problem with that?

--
JOHN CLEESE PLAYED: SECOND SOLDIER WITH A KEEN INTEREST IN BIRDS, LARGE MAN
                    WITH DEAD BODY, BLACK KNIGHT, MR NEWT (A VILLAGE

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
(((   Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim   )))
 \\\  Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org  ///