Re: Intent to package wmx-4

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 25, 1998 at 07:09:33AM +0200, Teemu Hukkanen wrote:
> >  wmx-4 is yet another window manager for X.
> >   wmx is the unstable big brother of wm2. It has a lot of stuff that
> >   doesn't fit in the ideal of the wm2 design, mainly virtual desktops,
> >   pixmap support for window frames and keyboard control.
> >
> > The copyright is similar to wm2's:
> >
> > wmx: Copyright (c) 1996-7 Chris Cannam.  Fourth release, Jan 1998
> >      Parts derived from 9wm Copyright (c) 1994-96 David Hogan
> >      Command menu code Copyright (c) 1997 Jeremy Fitzhardinge
> >      xvertext routines Copyright (c) 1992 Alan Richardson
> >      Copying and redistribution encouraged.  No warranty.
> >
> > If someone would like to test it before I upload it, please let me know.
> > I'm still pondering on how to add menu-support, so I won't be uploading
> > just yet.
>
> Danger Will Robinson!
>

> This says nothing about modification.

>From the wmx-4 README:
---clip---
Credits
=======

wmx was written by Chris Cannam, recycling a lot of code and structure
from "9wm" by David Hogan.

The sideways tabs on the window frames were Andy Green's idea.

Alan Richardson's "xvertext" font-rotation routines are used for the
window tabs.

Jeremy Fitzhardinge provided the original application-menu code.

If you want to hack the code into something else for your own
amusement, please go ahead.  Feel free to modify and redistribute, as
long as you retain the original copyrights as appropriate.
---clip---

The last paragraph clearly gives permission to modify and redistribute.

And here's further info on the other copyrights, this time from the
copyright file from the wm2 package:
---clip---

The text rotation code is copyright:

   xvertext, Copyright (c) 1992 Alan Richardson (mppa3@uk.ac.sussex.syma)

   Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
   documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided
   that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both the
   copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
   documentation.  All work developed as a consequence of the use of
   this program should duly acknowledge such use. No representations are
   made about the suitability of this software for any purpose.  It is
   provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.

For those interested, the 9wm code this programme is based on is
copyright:

   9wm is free software, and is Copyright (c) 1994-1996 by David Hogan.
   Permission is granted to all sentient beings to use this software,
   to make copies of it, and to distribute those copies, provided
   that:

      (1) the copyright and licence notices are left intact
      (2) the recipients are aware that it is free software
      (3) any unapproved changes in functionality are either
            (i) only distributed as patches
        or (ii) distributed as a new program which is not called 9wm
                and whose documentation gives credit where it is due
      (4) the author is not held responsible for any defects
          or shortcomings in the software, or damages caused by it.

   There is no warranty for this software.  Have a nice day.
---clip---