Re: ASL2 vs. GPL?

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:28:21AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:

> I think AF and FSF are still talking.

I hope so!  Does anyone know for sure?

> Shall we let them finish before involving ourselves?

I'm a little concerned about people who might take the AF's word on
the matter and waste time starting projects that could turn out to be
undistributable.  I thought that issuing some sort of official
statement, even if it's just to say, "we have doubts", might alert
people that it's not necessarily that simple, and might even help get
the dialog between the AF and FSF moving again, if it's stalled.

> can we avoid unnecessary work?

That's the other option, yes.  But while I can't claim it's necessary,
I can claim that it might be useful (see above), and if it's not a lot
of work (especially if we just announce that we have doubts), it might
be worth it.

This may not have developed into a real problem _yet_, but it
potentially affects some pretty critical and widely used software,
unlike a lot of the seriously obscure and trivial programs whose
licenses we do spend a lot of time on.  (I'll try not to mention
Cthugha by name...whoops, I just did.:)

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single