Re: license =? copyright

On Monday 03 February 2003 20:21, Antoine Mathys wrote:
> What IS the real difference between a licence and a copyright?
> I am a bit confused at this point, especially because I hear the
> copyright is what gives (or doesn't) give you freedom to use, modify,
> distribute, etc.

the license is the document which states the permissions granted or withheld.
One would say "I have a license to use this version of XXX" just like you
would say "I have a license to drive my car".  copyright is the law under
which the author(s) are given ownership and the right to bestow or withhold
licenses.

This is a simplification and I am (obviously) not a lawyer or a proper source
of legal advice.