Re: license requirements for a book to be in free section

Scripsit Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>

> They also told me that they don't want to allow the commercial
> distribution of the book, anyway again in their opinion this doesn't
> violate the DFSG.

Which is false. The right to commercial redistribution for profit, in
electronic form at the very least, is a sine qua non for DFSG
compliance.

> This is a quoting from the O'Reilly editor about this:

>    We consider that in the DFSG phrasing, the endeavor of the user is
>    *preexistent* to the use of the document (which is OK for us), while
>    the FDL virtually allows that the use of the document may become the
>    endeavor itself (which we are not ready to agree with).

The field-of-endeavor thing is not really what is at stake here. The
basic right-to-redistribute is.

And O'Reilly don't really have the final word (or any word) in how the
DFSG is interpreted.

--
Henning Makholm                                   "Monsieur, vous êtes fou."