Re: Home Directory in SSD

On 11/02/2016 15:23, Stefan Monnier wrote
I have it all on my SSD, and I use daily backups.
Before that, I used an HDD, with the same daily backups.

If you don't perform regular backups, then clearly you don't care about your
data, so why bother trying to distinguish if the HDD is ever so slightly
less untrustworthy than the SSD?

And if you do perform regular backups, then you only need your storage
media to be "reliable enough", so again the minute differences in
failure scenarios for HDDs and SSDs don't matter because both of them
are "reliable enough".

The differences are important, tho:
- SSDs are silent.
- HDDs are not silent.
- Some operations are much faster with the SSD (tho those don't
   affect me very much, in practice, so it's not the main selling point).
- Oh, did I mention how little noise SSDs emit?

         Stefan
That is not untruth, but if you think about ecology, a media that lives 5-10 years is not the same thing that one living 3-5 years.

You trade lifetime for comfort , maybe another one will make a different choice ? To take en example : you can decide to drive a Ferrari at 160 Mph, and you'll gain a lot of time in transfer, but you'll have the risk of an accident and a shorter life. It's your choice, not THE only choice.

hervé