Re: Home Directory in SSD

On Sat, Feb 06, 2016 at 03:03:24PM +0100, Aleksandar Atanasov wrote:
> Hi Jos,
>
> Usually SSDs are used to store things that you want to load as fast as
> possible. Generally this includes files, that the OS requires during its
> booting, application that you use very often etc. I would recommend that
> you store things like Music, Documents, Videos etc. to an HDD not only
> because its easier to diagnose for failures but also because you don't
> require that much performance for such files and because of the much
> larger space a good old HDD offers compared to a modern SSD. If you have
> partitioned your SSD in a manner that /home is not where / is moving
> your /home won't be a problem at all.

On the other hand, mailboxes and Maildirs really like to live on
SSDs - if you're one of those dinosaurs like me who still like to
fetch all their e-mail locally and use a local MUA to read it.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@ringlet.net roam@FreeBSD.org pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13