Re: Home Directory in SSD

Backups are usually supposed to be done on a different storage device
than the one that is actively used. I wouldn't include the "backup
scenario" here unless Jos is doing backups of a storage device onto the
storage device itself (if that is the case I would strongly recommend
NOT to do that).

As for the quality of SSDs - yes, it has improved greatly (example for
some test of longevity:
http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes).
I have read however that SSDs are much more susceptible to power failure
compared to HDDs leading to a higher data corruption in case a poor
electrical grid is used to power the device up. However in terms of
protecting your data from shocks (dropping the notebook onto the floor)
SSDs are definitely much better. Because of the mechanics that are
involved in HDDs, such drives are less suitable for the task of storing
data on mobile devices.

Needless to say both HDDs and SSDs are not meant for long term storage.
That is way things like tape drives are still produced and widely
popular among people who work with servers (in terms of longevity,
capacity etc. tape storage blows both HDDs and SSDs away by a lot but
the main issue there is definitely the steep price for the device that
are used to read those).

My suggestion, Jos, is to start looking at various tech reports with
tests and detailed description of the scenarios those tests were
performed for so that you can decide for yourself what to do. I'm
backing up my data on a regular basis to an external drive (even have a
tape drive here somewhere but there seems to be some problem with it (or
with Linux using it :D)) and if it wasn't for the fact that my Vaio is
more than 6 years old and has a SATA2 (yes...TWO) I would have changed
my HDD for an SSD long ago. If your notebook is mostly stationary (as a
desktop replacement) you can go with a SSD (for regularly used files) +
HDD (for less regularly used files) combo. SSDs are relatively new but I
do believe they will replace the HDDs in the near future because - let's
face it - in terms of innovation the HDD-departament isn't doing that
much except increasing the storage density which will also stop at one
point.

Regards,
Alex