Re: Swap

> How much swap space does 4GB ram ideally requires ? I have been using the
> rule "RAM size x 2" for calculating the size of swap. But as the RAM sizes
> are bigger nowadays, is this a wrong calculation ? I mean, is it okay if I
> use 1 GB of swap space (or lesser) for a 4gb RAM ?
>
> (I use to suspend my system everyday by pressing  alt+shutdown menu in
> gnome 3)
>
> Please suggest.

You probably ask because you want to setup a new laptop?

My suggestion is: Have a look at your old laptop and observe
the output of the command
	grep Swap /proc/meminfo
after using your system for a while.  This will give you
some hint about how much swap is actually occupied.  A huge
swap area has normally no advantages unless you need to
run memory leaking applications for a very long time.

For example my laptop has 8gb RAM, is running for a
about a month now and it has only used less than 1gb of my
swap area.

Regards, Peter Funk
--
Peter Funk, home: ✉Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee
mobile:+49-179-640-8878 phone:+49-421-20419-0 <http://www.artcom-gmbh.de/>