Re: Swap

I guess it depends on your RAM usage. Currently I have an 8GB RAM laptop but my usage never goes beyond 6GB (even doing scientific computations) so I didn't bother allocating more then 1GB for my swap partition.

On 02/04/2016 01:49 PM, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:

From: Jos Collin <joscollin@gmail.com>
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:42 AM
Subject: Swap

Hello,
How much swap space does 4GB ram ideally requires ? I have been using the rule "RAM size x 2" for calculating the size of swap. But as the RAM sizes are bigger nowadays, is this a wrong calculation ? I mean, is it okay if I use 1 GB of swap space (or lesser) for a 4gb RAM ?
(I use to suspend my system everyday by pressing  alt+shutdown menu in gnome 3)
Please suggest.
Thanks,
Jos Collin

Here is my viewpoint

Ramsize is typically 1.5 to one for system RAM up to 4 gigs, and then around 0.6 gigs per gig of ram beyond.  My 8 gig Fedora system has allocated, 7 gigs of swap space.

Regards

 Leslie
Mr. Leslie Satenstein
Montréal Québec, Canada

--
Felipe Duque Belfort
Mestrando em ciência da computação, UFPE