Re: Upgrading 32-bit to 64-bit

Aniyan Rajan wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Also the most important detail you left out.  How much memory do you
> > have?  Do you have more than 4 gig of memory?
>
> No, I have only 2 gig.

With only 2G of ram there is no significant advantage to you to be
running a 64-bit system.  Think about it again when you have 8G of ram.

> > Why?  What benefit do you expect from it being a 64-bit system?
>
> Now I have to upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy anyway. So I was
> thinking why can't I go for a Wheezy 64-bit.

There is no significant benefit for a 64-bit system with 2G of ram.
There may even be disadvantages due to the increased memory use of
64-bit programs.  (Pointers to data are all twice as large.  Many
64-bit programs use more memory than their 32-bit programs.)

With only 2G of memory I would stick with a 32-bit system.

Bob