Re: it is avahi? Re: network

On 01.07.13 16:35, Daniel Landau wrote:
The domain is set to zyxel.com. I changed it to landau.fi (which I control), but this didn't have any noticeable effect. If I change the DNS to ISP the error returns.

ok, it really looks as the ISP's .local domain issue.

However, with my previous router, I could connect to machines on my
wireless network  using their hostnames (which is e.g. useful for
moving files to/from Android devices wirelessly with ftp), now I
can't.

I guess this might be one of issues using .local in your network causes.

It doesn't seem to be related. With my old router (a Wippies HomeBox http://forum.wippies.com/wiki/Wippies_HomeBox) my resolv.conf contains a line "search Sauna". With the ZyXEL router there is a line "search zyxel.com" or "search landau.fi" depending on the setting. If I instead put .local in that spot, my resolv.conf doesn't have a search line. I think the "search Sauna" thing would seem to mean, that the Wippies router is doing something active to ensure that the hostnames resolve correctly. If I get a pointer to some material, I'd be happy to set up a local DNS server to resolve my local hosts.

local resolution server or use servers that do public recursice DNS, e.g.
Google... and report this issue to the ISP if they know about that.

WinError #99999: Out of error messages.