acer-WMI timout during boot

I put Debian 5.0.5 lenny on my Acer travelmate 4010 recently and am
having a three minute timeout at "waiting for /dev to be fully
populated...[8.393716] acer-wmi: No or unsupported WMI interface, unable
to load."

which is fine, except the darn timeout is for three full minutes!

I think its happening inside of the debian package "firmware-ipw2x00,
which is installed at version 0.14+lenny2"

Can I change the timeout duration somehow, or how should I report thsi
and to whom?  Thanks for any suggestions