Re: kernel problems in sid

2010-07-03 00:17, Gerard Robin skrev:
With the kernel 2.6.30-bpo.1-amd64 all works almost fine but the package
linux-image-2.6.30-bpo.1-amd64 doesn't exist and so I tried the kernel
2.6.32-5-amd64 (2.6.32-15) but with this kernel many things doesn't work
well:
vlc displays the image in black an white and is reduced to a quarter
horizontally. cheese doesn't work well.
cdcd works but I can't hear the sound.
hibernation freezes my box

I tried the kernel 2.6.34-1-amd64 (experimental)
With this kernel vlc and cheese work fine but cdcd doesn't and
hibernation freezes my box too.

Does anybody know why the kernel 2.6.32 produces all these problems?
Am I alone in this case?

Just guesses really, so don't blame me if it makes things worse, but problems I have had with recent kernels have been related to KMS <http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting> (strange X-behaviour and suspend freezes) and to using outdated initramfs-tools package (hibernation freezes), but I use squeeze instead of lenny, so I can not claim to have the same problems as you have.

If disabling KMS, and running update-initramfs with initramfs-tools (and possibly other packages) matching the kernel (e.g., all from unstable) do not help, then I have no further ideas.

Hope it helps.

Johan