Screen blank on return from Suspend

I have looked for a solution in forum search, google, and other misc. Debian help pages. I've found many comments, but no solution.

The Problem: After suspending successfully (apparently, evidenced by blinking amber light) and resuming, the screen remains off. No backlight... blank screen.

Attempts at solution:
1. without the screen on and after resume I ctrl-alt F1, CTL-ALT 7, CTR-ALT 'whatever' and no effect on screen.
2. after resume with no screen, CTRL-ALT 1, login as root, type halt. computer shuts down.
3. after resume with no screen, CTRL-ALT 1, login as root, restart gdm, no effect.
4. after resume with no screen, CTRL-ALT 1, ALT-F7, no effect.
5.  " " " " " """"""""""""""""""""""", Funtion key - F6 and F7 to adjust brightness, no effect

Is there a way at the command prompt to kill the screen and start it up again? I'm pretty much out of ideas.

Environment: Running Lenny with Linux Kernel 2.62 AMD64 (I dual boot w/ vista). Toshib A215-s4757, ATI Radeon graphics.

Thank you in advance for any help or direction.