Re: Safe install

I had a hard time restoring an old T42 Thinkpad's master boot record after trying to install  Ubuntu on an external USB hard disk. The installer appeared so smart and gave proper warnings about Windows partitions on the first drive. It did properly install Ubuntu on the second drive, but couldn't resist saying hi to the first drive. I ended up with a computer that couldn't boot either Windows or Ubuntu. Strange enough, when I "physically" removed the first drive and reinstalled Ubuntu, everything worked fine and I could even use Ubuntu after reinstalling the first drive.
I guess either Debian installer, or newer laptops, or users in this mailing list are smarter! Anyway I feel safer now to try to install Debian on my new shining SL500 Thinkpad. Thanks to all who responded.
-- Sayeh