Re: Laptop detects only part of the RAM memory

j.andradas@gmail.com wrote:
Hello,

last week, when booting a virtual machine, I discovered that my laptop only recognizes one of the RAM modules (supposed to be 1 GB, but truly providing 880 MB). I realized this when VirtualBox complained that I had configured more than the available RAM to the virtual machine. I had not changed the virtual machine configuration, and the virtual machine had about 950 MB assigned (and my physical host, only had 880 MB).

Since I previously had 2 GB of RAM, I assumed one of the chips was broken somehow. I replaced one of them, and I still got this output for the "free" command:

$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem:        902264     892608       9656          0      23624     621432

So I put the original module back on, and changed the other one. I entered the BIOS, and it detected 2048 MB of RAM. I run a test on the memory (from the BIOS), and everything seemed allright. But my Debian keeps seeing only 902264 of RAM.

I downloaded a new Kernel, re-compiled, but everything is still the same. I am running Debian Sid, if that could matter, but I can't see how that would affect the amount of RAM available.

Running lshw, I get the following ouput:

     *-memory
          physical id: a
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 2GiB
        *-bank:0
             product: 9905293-014.A00LF
             vendor: 7F98000000000000
             physical id: 0
             serial: 41CC9DE7
             slot: DIMM #1
             size: 1GiB
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 533MHz (1.9ns)
        *-bank:1
             product: 9905295-066.A00LF
             vendor: 7F98000000000000
             physical id: 1
             serial: 66078142
             slot: DIMM #2
             size: 1GiB
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 667MHz (1.5ns)

Could the difference between the clocks available on the RAM chips only allow for one of them to be used?
Thank you in advance,

Best Regards,

--
Jonás Andradas

Skype: jontux
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/andradas
GPG Fingerprint:  678F 7BD0 83C3 28CE 9E8F
                          3F7F 4D87 9996 E0C6 9372
Keyservers:  pgp.mit.edu | pgp.rediris.es

Please post the output of your dmesg.